News and Views

Additional Commonwealth disaster assistance for Queensland

Federal Minister for Justice Michael Keenan has announced that the Australian Government has activated the Disaster Recovery Payment and the Disaster Recovery Allowance for eligible disaster affected residents in the local government area of Rockhampton, Queensland.

By making these payments available the Australian Government is ensuring that those who have lost their homes or livelihoods in the flooding that followed Tropical Cyclone Debbie have the additional assistance they need to help them on the road to recovery.

People eligible for the Disaster Recovery Payment are those who have lost their homes or suffered injury as a result of the disaster. These people can access a one-off payment of $1,000 per adult and $400 per child.

People eligible for the Disaster Recovery Allowance can access income assistance for up to 13 weeks, equivalent to the maximum rate of Newstart Allowance or Youth Allowance.

This assistance is designed to help those employees, primary producers, and sole traders affected by the disaster to get back on their feet.

Equivalent financial assistance will also be available to eligible New Zealand citizens (non-protected Special Category Visa, subclass 444 holders) affected by the cyclone.

The Australian Government assistance announced is over and above the support already being provided under the jointly funded Commonwealth-State Natural Disaster Relief and Recovery Arrangements (NDRRA).

The Australian Government is in regular contact with the Queensland Government regarding recovery assistance, and will continue to monitor the impacts of the event to ensure that communities have access to the assistance they need.

The easiest way to lodge a claim for the disaster recovery payments is by calling the Australian Government Emergency Information Line on 180 22 66 between 8am and 7pm (Monday to Friday), between 8am and 5pm (Saturday to Sunday), or via the Human Services website.

Completed claim forms can also be lodged in person at an Australian Department of Human Services service centre, agent, or access point.

Further information on Australian Government assistance is available online at the Disaster assist website.

Most Popular

Newsletter Signup

To Top