The Australian Fisheries Management Authority (AFMA) is seeking applications for Chairpersons of various Management Advisory Committees (MAC). We are seeking applicants for the next three year terms, from 1 July 2018 to 30 June 2021.
AFMA is calling for MAC Chairs for the fisheries listed below:
- Northern Prawn Fishery (NORMAC)
- Tropical Tuna Fisheries (TTMAC)
- Sub Antarctic Fisheries (SouthMAC)
Please contact Yvonne Zunic on (02) 6225 5432 or at firstname.lastname@example.org for further information about the role of MAC Chairs and the selection process.
More information about MACs, role of Chairs and how to apply is provided below.
Management Advisory Committees are statutory bodies that provide AFMA with management advice. They report to the AFMA Commission on policy and operational matters, where relevant, relating to the management of Commonwealth fisheries, including scientific, research and other information about the status of fish stocks and the impact of fishing on the marine environment. MAC advice is used to inform AFMA’s management decisions and records from past meetings can be found on AFMA’s website here.
Who should apply to Chair a MAC?
The selection process is merit based and applicants will be assessed against the following criteria:
- have good national standing, preferably in a field relevant to fisheries
- be independent of commercial or other interests with the particular fishery, including industry association(s)
- have a good understanding of industry and public policy
- be able to identify strategic goals and objectives, and facilitate their achievement through the MAC process
- have a demonstrated capacity to chair meetings, including a sound understanding of the meeting procedures and practices necessary for the efficient conduct of meetings
- not be a member of the AFMA Commission.
AFMA’s policy documents Fisheries Management Paper 1 (FMP 1) – Management Advisory Committees relationship with Management Advisory Committees and Fisheries Administration Paper 12 (FAP 12) Resource Assessment Groups – Roles, Responsibilities provide information about the roles of MACs and RAGs and their members.
How do I apply?
Please submit your curriculum vitae and a brief cover note summarising your relevant experience, qualifications and reason for your application.
Please specify in your cover note which MAC you are applying for.
How do I submit my application?
Applications need to be submitted to AFMA before close of business 9 February 2018 and can be submitted by post, email or facsimile:
Manager, Policy, Environment, Economics and Research
PO Box 7051
CANBERRA BC ACT 2610