News and Views

Disaster assistance following Tropical Cyclone Kelvin

Disaster assistance has been made available for the local government areas of Broome, Derby-West Kimberley, Laverton and Wyndham-East Kimberley, which were affected by Tropical Cyclone Kelvin in February 2018.

Assistance is being provided through the jointly-funded Commonwealth-State Natural Disaster Relief and Recovery Arrangements (NDRRA).

Minister for Law Enforcement and Cyber Security Angus Taylor, who has responsibility for Commonwealth disaster assistance, said that funding is being made available through the NDRRA to support affected individuals and communities and repair flood-damaged assets.

“Tropical Cyclone Kelvin hit as a Category 2 Tropical Cyclone, 250 kilometres south of Broome near Anna Plains Station,” Mr Taylor said.

“There were severe winds in excess of 100 km per hour, with heavy rainfall exceeding 500mm in Broome, 237mm at Anna Plains Station and 229mm in Derby.”

“Floodwaters continue to affect this region, where many communities are still recovering from Tropical Cyclone Hilda, Tropical Cyclone Joyce and the most recent tropical low.”

Western Australian Emergency Services Minister Fran Logan said that several sections of the Great Northern Highway and all major roads into Broome were temporarily closed.

“The funding available through the NDRRA will help these communities recover and ensure damaged public infrastructure can be repaired,” Mr Logan said.

“The Commonwealth and Western Australian governments recognise the importance of acting quickly to help these communities, particularly those that were affected by flooding in late January 2018.”

Assistance available under the NDRRA may include:

  • personal hardship and distress assistance for affected individuals and families
  • financial support for affected local governments and state agencies to help with the costs of cleaning up and restoring damaged essential public assets
  • interest rate subsidies for small businesses and primary producers, and
  • freight subsidies for primary producers.

The assistance available for this event is divided into categories.

For further information, visit:

Primary Contacts for assistance and advice are:

Individuals and Families – Department of Communities, Emergency Services (Child Protection and Family Support): Phone 1800 032 965
Primary Producers – Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development (Agriculture and Food) Rural Business Development Unit: Phone 1800 198 231
Other Enquiries – Office of Emergency Management: Phone 6551 4034 or 6551 4041; Email to

Information on assistance available for natural disasters can be found on the Australian Government’s website at

Source: WA Government

Most Popular

Newsletter Signup

To Top