Hands-on training sessions will be delivered in the Western Australian grainbelt in coming weeks to assist spray operators to effectively set up and calibrate spraying equipment.
Grains Research and Development Corporation (GRDC) sprayer calibration/application workshops will be delivered by well-known WA spray application specialist Bill Campbell, and will be particularly suited to younger grain growers, growers with new machinery and farm employees.
“People attending these free, on-farm events will be updated on current best practice spraying information that will enable them to make correct and effective decisions across different spray situations,” Mr Campbell said.
“Spray operators will learn how to ensure chemical products reach their target and avoid spray drift issues.
“The workshops will involve the use of different spraying systems and technologies, and demonstrate correct procedures for mixing and ‘batching’ chemicals.”
Each workshop will cover:
- Application, droplet and coverage requirements in relation to water volume and mode of action, and how nozzles work
- Spray techniques for different situations including summer and winter knockdowns, and applying pre-emergent herbicides, fungicides and crop desiccation chemicals
- Understanding different spraying systems/technologies, how they work, and how to best set them up
- Practical demonstrations of commercial spray equipment with water sensitive paper to demonstrate different spray techniques, and to check and measure coverage and droplet deposition
- Mixing/batching theory with grower demonstrations of nurse tank/mobile mixing batch setups
- Grower batching and loading demonstration.
Workshops are being held with the support of local grower groups at the following locations:
- Corrigin (location to be advised) – February 17 2020
- Condingup (Perks’ farm, 10 kilometres along Meyer Road) – February 19 2020
- Cascade (Roberts’ farm, ‘Young Leaze shed’, five km north west of Cascade – February 20 2020
- Ravensthorpe (Chambers’ farm, 1981 Floater Road) – February 21 2020
- Manypeaks – (Thomson’s farm, 496 Thomson Road) – March 13 2020
- Broomehill (Bignell’s farm) – March 17 2020
- Compass Agriculture Alliance, Darkan (location to be advised) – March 19 2020
Each of the free GRDC sprayer calibration/ application workshops will be held from 10.30am to 4.30pm and include lunch.
To register or for more information, visit the GRDC events page, contact Mr Campbell (firstname.lastname@example.org or 0427 545 553) or participating grower groups Corrigin Farm Improvement Group, South East Premium Wheat Growers Association (SEPWA), Ravensthorpe Agricultural Initiative Network (RAIN), Stirlings to Coast Farmers, Southern DIRT and Compass Agriculture Alliance (CAA).
Those intending to attend the workshops are reminded that the movement of people and vehicles may bring unwanted plant pests on to farms during events, field work and trials. Information about managing biosecurity risks is available in this GroundCover online article by Plant Health Australia.